In the fortieth episode of the first season ofÂ Steven Universe, none of you were kidding. I was truly unprepared for this show. Intrigued? Then itâ€™s time for Mark to watchÂ Steven Universe.
What is wrong with all of you HOW COULD YOU LET ME DO THIS TO MYSELF
On the Run
Just kidding, I LOVE THAT THIS IS DESTROYING ME. This show was so unassuming and fun and then NOPE, GUESS WHAT, THEREâ€™S A HORRIFYING BACKSTORY TO EVERYTHING. Yet I also consider it an achievement that this isnâ€™t grim and hopeless, you know? Itâ€™s still a kidsâ€™ show that I happen to be enjoying. (And utterly disturbed by, but thatâ€™s a separate issue.) The references are both made for adultsÂ andÂ for kids, such as the fact that there are nods to bothÂ The Boxcar ChildrenÂ andÂ Junji Ito within the same episode. (I canâ€™t believe I just got to type that, yâ€™all. What is this show???)
I remember being obsessed withÂ The Boxcar ChildrenÂ mysteries, especially since the four kids solved so many of their â€œcasesâ€ without adults around. Couple that with my early love ofÂ The X-Files, and yâ€™all. Yâ€™ALL. I just wanted to travel around the country solving mysteries for people. (Spoiler alert: I still want to. Badly.) I had other, less thrilling reasons to want to be on my own as a kid, but in a more general sense, I think most of us probably desired an adventurous life like this. The very idea of traveling around with a mysterious past and with the open road ahead of youâ€¦ god, I love it.
Didnâ€™t Peridot say something about Kindergarten in â€œWarp Tourâ€? Am I imagining that???
Okay, look, I feel like â€œOn the Runâ€ dropped a ton of information about the Crystal Gems, so let me try to get all this down:
- At the start of this episode, it seemed clear to me that, at practically any cost, Pearl was going to keep the truth from Steven, not because she didnâ€™t trust him as a person, but because the truth was so disturbing that she wasnâ€™t sure that he was ready.
- I figured that, due to â€œWarp Tour,â€ the Gems back on the homeworldÂ hadÂ to have done something horrible in order for Garnet to justify breaking the warp pad. Yet even at the beginning of â€œOn the Run,â€ everything I heard was so vague. The Gems had planned something for Earth that would have hurt it and the beings who lived on it, so Rose, Amethyst, Garnet, and Pearl vowed to protect the place. Hence the destroyed warp pads!
- But it couldnâ€™t be that simple, right? Amethystâ€™s sadness on the road trip must be because she canâ€™t go home, right? Clearly! That has to be it!
- EXCEPT AMETHYST WASNâ€™T FROM THE HOMEWORLD.
- She was made onÂ Earth? BUT HOW CAN YOU JUST MAKE A GEM.
- In comes Kindergarten: a horrifying example of what the Gems were going to do to Earth. In hindsight, itâ€™s clear why Amethyst was so excited to return, but Iâ€™d also argue that what is revealed in â€œOn the Runâ€ helps explain her character.
- More on that in a bit. So, Amethyst was â€œmadeâ€ by other Gems, which I donâ€™t get. Was sheÂ minedÂ by those weird robot thingies that scared the shit out of me? How do youÂ makeÂ a Gem, anyway?
- Regardless, Amethystâ€™s birthplace was on Earth, and she was part ofâ€¦ something. Iâ€™m not sure what these Gems were supposed to be used for. Creating more Gems? Mining? Soldiers? Whatever the Homeworld wanted to do with these Gems, it was bad enough that PearlÂ consistentlyÂ spoke of Kindergarten as a terrible place.
- Which is what I think explains Amethyst a great deal. If you were part of something that was intended to cause death and destruction, and if you werenâ€™t ever given the choice to be part of it, how would you feel? Pearl is always complaining that Amethyst doesnâ€™t take things seriously. Well, if your whole origin story is the most deadly serious thing in existence, wouldÂ youÂ be serious all the time, too? To me, this episode shows us that Amethyst has been trying to run away from her grim beginnings sinceâ€¦ well, sinceÂ forever.
Iâ€™m glad that Pearl apologized to Amethyst, even though she had no idea that her words and the way she described Kindergarten made Amethyst hate herself. Weâ€™ve all done something like this! And in the end, Pearl had to own up to this, even if Kindergarten reallyÂ wasÂ a terrible place.
SOâ€¦ LIKE WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THIS SHOW? WHAT THE HELL, Yâ€™ALL.
The video for â€œOn the Runâ€ can be downloadedÂ here for $0.99.
Mark Links Stuff
– I am now on Patreon! There are various levels of support, from $1 up to whatever you want! You’ll get to read a private blog, extra reviews, and other such rewards. I POST A LOT OF CUTE PHOTOS, OKAY. Think of it like a private Tumblr blog that only SPECIAL PEOPLE get to read.
– I have updated my list of conventions and events for the remainder of the year and much of next year.Â Â Check the full list of events on my Tour Dates / Appearances page.
– My Master Schedule is updated for the near and distant future for most projects, so please check it often.Â My next Double Features for Mark Watches have been announced here.
-Â Mark Does Stuff is on Facebook!Â I’ve got a community page up that I’m running. Guaranteed shenanigans!