In the sixth episode of Baccano!, I feel like I understand more of this, but then RAIL TRACER, so nevermind. Intrigued? Then it’s time for Mark to watch Baccano!
“The Rail Tracer Covertly, Repeatedly Slaughters Inside the Coaches”
- WELL, THIS EPISODE WAS CLEARLY GOING TO BE A PRECOCIOUS ROMP BASED ON THE TITLE, RIGHT?
- Sweet mother of all gods, this was so intense.
- And bewildering! I know that’s the point, and I actually feel like I started to get a grip on some of the parts of this story that I clearly got wrong before or didn’t pick up on.
- That’s not applicable to THE TALKING PILE OF BOOKS AND NOTES
- WHO THE FUCK IS THAT
- I THOUGHT ELIAN WAS IN CHARGE OF THE DAILY DAYS
- THIS IS NOT FAIR WHO THE FUCK IS TALKING.
- And who’s the Chinese man? I thought that was Elian’s man?
- GODDAMN IT, JUST A FEW MINUTES INTO THIS EPISODE AND NOTHING MAKES SENSE AGAIN.
- Oh my god, the Rail Tracer is real. It looks sort of like a person, but it’s clearly some sort of entity??? And I have no clue why it is “covertly, repeatedly” slaughtering the people of the Flying Pussyfoot, which is why I’m so terrified by this thing. There’s no motivation. There’s no reason for this. IT’S JUST SENSELESS DEATH.
- Of course, the image of the Rail Tracer pulling one of the men in black suits out of the train and holding him over the rails so that his lower half is OBLITERATED didn’t make me feel any better. Neither did THE RAIL TRACER CHOOSING TO WHISPER SOMETHING IN THAT WOMAN’S EAR. So, I think I’m safe in assuming that the woman in fatigues is Vino, aka Claire Stanfield. The assassin? She looks pretty assassin-y. That’s totally a word. Anyway, she’s working for the Gandors, that much we know.
- Just… what the fuck could the Rail Tracer say to make her freak out like that???
- So, let’s talk about how one answer was just sitting there in front of me the whole time: the leader of the gang who “killed” Barnes and stole the elixir is DALLAS GENOARD. I didn’t even recognize him! Though now I realize his name wasn’t spoken in any scene with him (at least I don’t remember it being said), and I haven’t ever gotten a super good look at him. Still, HOLY SHIT.
- I’m beginning to see why there was such a level of distaste between Dallas and the Gandors. Dallas came to Luck to ask for help in getting revenge against Firo, and Luck rejected him, namely because Dallas is TOO AWFUL FOR A MOB. Like, when someone in a mob tells you that you break the law too much, YOU’RE PROBABLY SUPER AWFUL.
- So now the Gandors have the elixir of immortality! Is that how Luck becomes immortal?
- WHEW, A GIANT MIDDLE FINGER TO THE EXTREMELY UNFAIR SEQUENCE WITH MARY IN THE BROOM CLOSET. I don’t think I breathed at all during that whole scene. Goddamn, this show just keeps getting more and more intense. AND CHANE LAFORET. HOLY GOD, WHAT A NATIONAL TREASURE. PLEASE TELL ME MORE ABOUT HER.
- I really like Jacuzzi and his gang, y’all, particularly Jacuzzi. I need more information about them, though! I feel like I don’t have all the pieces, much like everything else. At least now Ladd’s confronted Jacuzzi about him stealing from the Russo family. But how? What happened?
- I’ve also decided that there is absolutely no need for me to ever question Isaac and Miria. I must accept that through simple good fortune, those two have survived in life while operating under some of the strangest logic I’ve ever seen. Y’all, they discuss how to get back at the person who ran them over while they are still in the air. I can’t. I CAN’T DEAL WITH THOSE TWO.
- They tried to steal an entire museum, and upon failing to do so, STOLE THE FRONT DOOR.
- No, don’t question them, Mark. It’s pointless. It’s Isaac and Miria. Don’t bother.
- LET’S TALK ABOUT ENNIS. Oh my god, we haven’t seen that much of her, but in that time, we’ve already watched her grow. She chooses to stop and help Isaac and Miria, who are being tormented by Dallas and his gang, despite that Quates told her not to. Well, obviously he didn’t refer to this specifically. But she was created to be a glorified servant, one devoid of all humanity. So her choice to help the people she actually ran over is a big deal for me. She didn’t have to. All she needed to do was capture Dallas and the others. AH, Y’ALL, THAT LITTLE SMILE WHEN SHE RECOGNIZES ISAAC AND MIRIA IS TOO MUCH.
- We also watch as Eve is manipulated by Gustavo and his cronies and kidnapped. I did notice that the unnamed Chinese man from the opening scene was watching this all unfold, so perhaps we are going to find out what happened to Dallas. Will Eve unknowingly lead them to the truth? I actually don’t think that’s the case since she doesn’t know where he is either. So how does she tie into this tale?
- WHAT IS NICHOLAS’S PLAN TO PREVENT THIS MAFIA WAR FROM GETTING OUT OF CONTROL???? STOP TEASING ME, BACCANO! THIS IS TOO MUCH.
- So is the director of the Daily Days like a Jabba the Hut but made of paper? I DON’T KNOW, I DON’T UNDERSTAND WHY WE CAN’T SEE HIM.
- And the episode ends with on-screen confirmation that Dallas was injected with something, and I bet it’s the immortality elixir, which would substantiate the rumors that Dallas was made immortal.
- Gah, I am trying so hard to figure this, BUT I CAN’T.
The video for Episode 6 can be downloaded here for $0.99.
Mark Links Stuff
– If you would like to support this website and keep Mark Does Stuff running, I’ve put up a detailed post explaining how you can!
– Please check out the MarkDoesStuff.com. All Mark Watches videos for past shows/season are now archived there!
– My Master Schedule is updated for the near and distant future for most projects, so please check it often. My next three Double Features will be: Baccano!, The Middleman, and Band of Brothers.
– I will be at quite a few conventions and will be hosting events throughout the US, Canada, and Europe in 2014, so check my Tour Dates / Appearances page often to see if I’m coming to your city!
– Inspired by last year’s impromptu event in London, I am taking Mark in the Park on the road! You can see all currently planned dates and pitch your own city here.