This is an extra special commission post for the lovely Nora (she is 7lovelyangel in the comments!), who is celebrating her DAY OF BIRTH! Nora has supported me for a while, and I’m pretty sure she’s holding the record for most commissions from a single person. HONESTLY. (Ryan and Devon are very close behind!) I wanted to do something special for her, so first of all: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NORA!
Now, onto the THREE videos for her:
- It’s been fun doing commissions out of order because of things like this. Watching “Reunion” and then “Lullaby” gave me such a great slice of this period of Angel. We’ve got ~dark~ Angel being all broody and bad-decision-y, and then he goes to the super protective father who wants to protect Darla and Connor.
- I love Darla so much, and it’s why I wish she was around more in the later seasons. I mean, I’m not a big fan of mystical pregnancy in sci-fi and fantasy, so there’s that, but LOOK AT ALL THE STUFF IN “LULLABY” THAT TOTALLY HINTED AT A POSSIBLE ANGEL/DARLA RELATIONSHIP. Granted, that would have been a logistical nightmare. Darla would have lost her ~feelings~ and humanity once she gave birth to Connor, so all of her brilliantly acted lines on the top of that hotel were temporary. That wasn’t who she would be post-birth. Still. Could you imagine??? Vampire parents!!! I mean, if Buffy could have Spike be “good” without a soul, couldn’t they have tried the same thing with Darla?
- I’m being irrational, and I should probably just write fanfic about what would happen if Darla survived. Oh god, I have no time to write fanfic, WHO AM I KIDDING.
- Also, I’m way more into Cordelia/Angel anyway, so I am at least glad that there was some of that. I WANTED MORE, but that is another story for another day.
- During the video of “Reunion,” I spoke of how the end of that episode is like the “Passion” of this show. It’s the moment where you realize just how far Angel can go and what it can tell stories about. Like, shit, it’s such a huge, memorable moment for the character of Angel!
I also got the chance to watch the pilot of Bones, a show I’d never seen. I apologize in advance if you watch the video for it because every time Booth speaks, I just yell Angel references at him. I COULDN’T HELP IT. It would take me so long to see him as a different character! Like, I spent eight seasons with the character of Angel, so it’ll take time to get used to Booth.
That being said, I AM ALL HERE FOR TEMPERANCE AND ANGELA. Like, they are 99.9999999% of the reason I want to watch more of this show. They are fascinating characters, the actresses who play them are really talented, and I LOVE THEIR FRIENDSHIP. And this is all from just one episode! Oh my god, I wish Angela was my best friend. She would try to get me out of my house and be social instead of writing all day WHERE IS MY ANGELA.
Plus, I’m kind of a sucker for procedurals. I’ve seen like ten seasons of Law & Order and the first nine seasons of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and The X-Files was a twist on the genre, and I liked the first three seasons of House, and The Wire is like a brilliant deconstruction of the whole genre. SO YEAH. THIS IS KIND OF MY THING. I hope to find time to actually watch more of this on my own, because I enjoyed this!
Anyway, I hope you enjoy these videos. Again, Happy Birthday, Nora!