This is actually exciting! This is the first time I’ll be doing two shows for Mark Watches at the same time, and it’s even more rare that these shows will both operate in the same fictional universe. I’ll be attempting to figure out the logistics of this as we move through both Buffy and Angel, but you can check the Master Schedule to see the watching/reviewing order of both shows over the course of at least the next season.
I thought it would be fun to do predictions for both of the shows at the same time as well. Admittedly, I know my predictions for Angel are going to be subpar. I don’t have the luxury of context. I don’t know how the show will be framed. I don’t know anyone aside from Angel who might appear in it. To me, it actually feels like I am starting a brand new show, and that’s a really fascinating thing to try and pull off. So, let’s first begin with my predictions for season three of Buffy before moving on:
- The first episode of season three will be highly Buffy-centric. I’m guessing this because Buffy left Sunnydale and they sort of have to show where she went and what she did. However, now I realize they could just do what they did for season two’s opener and just show us Buffy returning from summer vacation. DAMN IT. Whatever, I’m sticking to it. I RULE.
- Oz will die in season three. I am basing this prediction solely on the fact that I like him, I think he and Willow are cute, and Joss Whedon cannot tolerate joy over the course of one season. He’s been around too long and I imagine Whedon was just itching to pull the trigger at this point. OMG SO GLAD I WAS WRONG.
- Cordelia and Xander will break up. My general theme for these predictions will be: “Joy cannot last.” I think this is a healthy choice to have. oh god i take this back.
- Buffy and Joyce will have an extended conversation about her being the Slayer at least once in the season. Extended means it has to last at least five minutes. !!!!!!!1 EVERYTHING IS SO PERFECT
- Joyce will slay a vampire. Look, I don’t care if that’s an irrational prediction. I simply do not care. I want Joyce to slay vampires, and I want it now. Damn it.
- Giles will meet someone he develops a crush on by the end of season three. HAHAHAHAHAA.
- Angel will be retrieved from Hell. Technically, he was, right?
- I’m making this separate just so I can at least get one prediction right, but I think Angel will come back via some sort of magic that Willow discovers and executes. Nope.
- On that note, Willow will continue to pursue doing magic in season three. Yes!
- We will find out why Principal Snyder is “in” with the Mayor of Sunnydale, and the mayor will play a larger role. HAHAHAHAHAHA.
- Principal Snyder will die by a creature that’s not a vampire. I AM PERFECT.
- We will see one snake in season three. NO ONE IS BETTER THAN ME.
- There’ll be an episode about bees. Doesn’t every sci-fi show have a bee episode? Okay, one day.
- Spike will come back, but not Drusilla. Wow, I did really good.
- 112 people will die onscreen. This includes any staked vampires. REMIND ME TO KEEP TRACK OF THIS AS THE SHOW MOVES ALONG. What’s the official count???
I wanted to first start with Angel because I don’t have many predictions at all. I am literally so unprepared for the shit.
Mark’s Predictions for season one of Angel
– Angel will be on the show.
– He’ll brood in half of the season in the dark.
– He will primarily concern himself with slaying vampires.
– There will be some event, thing, or place that is the impetus for wherever he goes having a high amount of supernatural events. So, sort of like the Hellmouth existing, there’s a reason why Angel’s new home will need him there.
– We will see him begin to date again to try to get over Buffy.
– Okay, so I think he’ll try to assemble some sort of “team” in his new location to help him out, and it will be entirely comprised of characters we’ve never seen before.
– The first character to crossover from Buffy will be Buffy herself.
– By the end of season one, I think we’ll see appearances by Buffy, Buffy’s father (doesn’t he live in L.A.?), Cordelia, Willow, and Giles.
– The first non-vampire villain Angel will come across will be a witch.
– I am only bullshitting at this point. I’m out of ideas.
Mark’s Predictions for season four of Buffy
– Xander will not go to UC Sunnydale.
– We will learn that Giles got hired as the head librarian at UC Sunnydale.
– Giles will pursue a relationship with Joyce. (MAKE IT HAPPEN, RIPPER.)
– Buffy will have a new boyfriend by the end of the season.
– Okay, I’m so surprised (AND IMMENSELY PLEASED) that Oz survived season three, but his time must end soon. So I say he dies in season four.
– We will find out what happened to Larry and Harmony.
– Cordelia will become much more involved with slaying now that she slayed a vampire at the end of season three.
– The Scoobies will make friends with a new staff member at the university.
– Anya will appear in season four.
– WE WILL FINALLY SEE XANDER’S PARENTS. Please?
– We will have an episode focusing more on Giles’s backstory.
– There will be an episode about ghosts.
– Faith? Look, I don’t how the fuck this show is going to deal with her being alive. So… stuff will happen? I DON’T KNOW.
– Can there be an episode about time travel? I LOVE TIME TRAVEL.
– There will be one explicitly jokey/funny episode.
– There will be one episode that’s just supposed to scare the pants off of us.
– Oh god, it feels kind of like Buffy is starting over. SO UNPREPARED.
Well, here goes nothing.