In the eighth part of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Shinji takes his friend on a trip to a UN freighter, and DISASTER STRIKES. Intrigued? Then it’s time for Mark to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Trigger Warning: For misogyny
I feel like there was a TON of information given to me in this episode, and I’m gonna try to get through it. Basically, though? WHAT THE HELL IS ACTUALLY GOING ON.
- So, I haven’t done a list in a long time. Bear with me, I have a lot of scattered thoughts I’m trying to work out below.
- Who is Gendo Ikari working with? Or for? Who is part of the secretive group who gets to know what NERV is actually doing?
- Does Kensuke ever not bring his camera along with him? To be fair to him, being able to see the UN Naval fleet in person is literally his greatest dream in life, so I understand his compulsion to document every second of it.
- Initially, I thought it was kind of ridiculous for Misato to bring Toji and Kensuke along with her and Shinji, but they’re cover, aren’t they? This whole mission isn’t supposed to be an “official” thing, right? That’s why the captain is so offended that Misato is there and trying to make claims of jurisdiction. He probably didn’t even know it was happening! But there’s a humorous commentary provided by that character: he’s one of the only people to openly question the fact that children seem to be running everything. Now, I have no idea how old Misato or Asuka are, but it’s true that everyone is super young.
- So, I don’t know how to address this without sounding like an asshole, but I’m very confused by all of the scenes – and there have been a lot of them – where Misato or Asuka are openly objectified by the men around them. On the one hand, I’m guessing that the writers are trying to portray the younger men as teenage boys normally act, but it’s so egregious and frequent. These women don’t exist just to be ogled, you know? And while it’s clear that Asuka despises how she was treated, I’m curious as to why this keeps happening. From the shots of Misato or Rei’s underwear, to scenes where the animation lingers on their bodies, to the constant ogling and catcalling from the men… it’s pervasive, and I don’t know why.
- The same goes for Kaji, who I instantly did not like as soon as he used his past relationship to shame Misato into silence. (And wasn’t he trying to play footsie with her under the table, too?) UGH, HE’S GROSS. AND A LIAR. AND I DON’T LIKE HIM.
- So, is Asuka the Second Child? She’s a pilot, and she is perfectly synced with Unit-02. (Though I noticed that if a second person is inside an EVA unit, it’s harder for that synchronization to happen.)
- Unit-02 is the first REAL combat EVA! That was exciting to see, and given that there were hints of other units being constructed, I’m interested to see how those look and behave. Will they all be combat ready?
- WHY DID KAJI SAY THAT THE ANGEL ATTACK WASN’T PART OF THE DEAL? This doesn’t make any sense to me!!! How could anyone have been able to control that kind of variable? Angels come out of nowhere, there’s no way to predict when and where they’ll come from. What is he talking about?
- Who else figured that a unit that couldn’t fight underwater would end up underwater? As soon as they stated that it was made of “B-type equipment,” I knew that thing would plunge into the ocean. Admittedly, I don’t understand how that Eva could have leapt from ship to ship without sinking them.
- This isn’t acknowledged at all, but a ton of people died during this battle, right? Like, a whole lot. Like, half the fleet is totally dead.
- WHAT THE FUCK IS THE ANGEL IN THIS EPISODE. WHAT IS IT. A weird squid/manta ray combo???? Seriously, where do the Angels come from???
- I LOVE MISATO’S LAST-MINUTE PLANS. THEY ARE SO RIDICULOUS.
- WHAT THE FUCK IS ADAM? Do they mean the literal first human??? Really??? Why are the Angels going after that? Oh my god. What if this is why the Angels are always appearing near Tokyo? WHAT IF THEY’RE TRYING TO GET SOMETHING BACK THAT THESE PEOPLE STOLE FROM THEM????
- ?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! WHAT IS ADAM??????
- Also, let’s end this with some criticism of myself. How the hell did I think that Asuka was now their teacher? STUDENT. SHE IS CLEARLY A STUDENT, MARK. THAT’S NOT HOW THAT WORKS.
The video for “Asuka Strikes!” can be downloaded here for $0.99.
Mark Links Stuff
– I am now on Patreon!!! MANY SURPRISES ARE IN STORE FOR YOU IF YOU SUPPORT ME.
– I will be at numerous conventions in 2016! Check the full list of events on my Tour Dates / Appearances page.
– My Master Schedule is updated for the near and distant future for most projects, so please check it often. My next Double Features for Mark Watches will be Death Note and Neon Genesis Evangelion. On Mark Reads, Diane Duane’s Young Wizards series will replace the Emelan books.
– Mark Does Stuff is on Facebook! I’ve got a community page up that I’m running. Guaranteed shenanigans!