In the fifth episode of Baccano!, just when I’m about to understand something about this show, I’m once again utterly unprepared. Intrigued? Then it’s time for Mark to watch Baccano!
“Jacuzzi Splot Cries, Gets Scared and Musters Reckless Valor”
- If you view this show with the idea of Jacuzzi being the main character, it’s just so fulfilling. He’s a hero who is afraid all the time, like a human version of Courage the Cowardly Dog. But it’s in his fear in this episode that he discovers bravery, albeit a bravery that could very well get him killed. So how exactly did Jacuzzi end up as the main focus of the Russo gangsters’ hatred and attention? How did someone who wears his emotions on his sleeve mastermind a theft? Is this a case of mistaken identity, or is something else at work? Did Jacuzzi really kill eight of Russo’s men? How did he come to be a part of the gang? Do Nice and Donny and Nick constantly have to look out for Jacuzzi? Will any of my questions ever be answered?
- Oh my god, I had so much prepared to write about how easy it was for Jacuzzi to blame the mayhem on the Flying Pussyfoot on the Rail Tracer because it made the whole situation easier for him to understand. He could project his fears and anxieties onto a single entity instead of trying to comprehend what was at work on the train. But then even he rejected a simplistic answer once Nice suggests that the men in black suits were train robbers. Notice how quickly Jacuzzi resolves to save the people on board once he hears gunfire, though. He refuses to let the people on this train succumb to the fate of the robbers or the Rail Tracer, which, at that point, I was still convinced wasn’t real. OH GOD. OH GOD.
- Okay, so was I meant to believe that Jacuzzi’s friends/gang looked super badass when they killed the Russo men harassing him? Or did all of their eyes glow blue? I was super confused like that. Are they human? Am I just reading too much into this?
- The only reason I say this is that this episode absolutely reveals that Ennis’s comment to Isaac and Miria earlier about her being “created” wasn’t a mistake. SHE’S A HOMUNCULUS. SHE’S NOT A HUMAN. SHE WAS CREATED TO HELP SZILARD QUATES. What the fuck is this Fullmetal Alchemist.
- My brain already couldn’t handle this casual reveal, and then Quates straight up subsumed Barnes into his bodies to take his entire being: his memories, his experiences, and his knowledge. That is absolutely one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever seen ever.
- Jesus, who the hell is Quates? How can he communicate with Ennis by merely touching her??? WHO ARE ALL THESE MEN AND WHERE DID THEY COME FROM AND WHAT THE FUCK.
- Oh god, I’m doing my best, I swear, but I still haven’t figured out the names of all the characters yet. So, those two mafia men (the ones who talk to Nicholas at the Daily Days) have a conversation about someone in this episode who is “immortal,” but they say that he still ages. Which is horrifying, because that means he’ll stay alive forever but age, too. At what rate??? How does that work? THEY MENTION HUEY LAFORET. That’s Master Huey, right???
- Y’all, I’m still so lost.
- Anyway, in a lot of respects, this show is unique in its execution, and I think Firo’s initiation sequence is a good example of that. I’ve never heard of any anime set in this specific time period, and I like that there is such an emphasis on the immigrants who have come to America to make a living. What we witness with Firo is the continuation of a custom of Italian culture that was brought to America by those who emigrated there. (It also explains a great deal of the names in this show, which are distinctly Italian.) Now, I also must admit that I have no idea just how accurate any of this is, or if the writers just made up this ritual. That’s an important context to this, but it’s one I’m completely ignorant of.
- Firo also has to duel Maiza in order to prove his loyalty to the Camorra. It’s here that Firo unknowingly reveals that he can heal himself. Or perhaps this was done on purpose? Shit, this could go either way! So does that mean Maiza purposely let Firo win because he knew it wouldn’t hurt him, or did Firo genuinely beat his friend in the knife fight?
- Okay, I wasn’t hearing things, was I? When the leader shoots his pistol into the ceiling, does a woman say someone named Isaac was shot??? WHAT THE FUCK.
- I still feel like I’m no closer to understanding Czeslaw. Not at all.
- I’m also confused as to why all folks who draw guns on Gustavo and the other Runorata men are suddenly terrified by two guns. You outnumber those two, easily!
- OH NO, DON’T YOU DARE USE EVE AS BAIT
- (WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO DALLAS.)
- All right, so let’s talk about the woman in fatigues. Once I was reminded by this episode that she had left through the window, I thought she was definitely the figure we saw in the previous episode. Maybe the whole red-eye thing and bloody-hand thing would be explained? Plus, we still don’t know who she is, nor do we know who Chane is either. Except…. oh my god SHE HAS THE SAME LAST NAME AS HUEY. So… Huey’s wife? Daughter? Sister????
- I can’t deal with this.
- I definitely can’t deal with the fact that the end of this episode pretty much confirms that the Rail Tracer is fucking real and WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING?
- WHAT IS IT
- OH GOD, WHAT IS IT???
The video for Episode 5 can be downloaded here for $0.99.
Mark Links Stuff
– If you would like to support this website and keep Mark Does Stuff running, I’ve put up a detailed post explaining how you can!
– Please check out the MarkDoesStuff.com. All Mark Watches videos for past shows/season are now archived there!
– My Master Schedule is updated for the near and distant future for most projects, so please check it often. My next three Double Features will be: Baccano!, The Middleman, and Band of Brothers.
– I will be at quite a few conventions and will be hosting events throughout the US, Canada, and Europe in 2014, so check my Tour Dates / Appearances page often to see if I’m coming to your city!
– Inspired by last year’s impromptu event in London, I am taking Mark in the Park on the road! You can see all currently planned dates and pitch your own city here.