In the eighth episode of the second season of Princess Tutu, Y’ALL GOT ME TO WATCH THIS SHOW SPECIFICALLY TO TORMENT ME WITH THIS EPISODE DIDN’T YOU. DIDN’T YOU. Intrigued? Then it’s time for Mark to watch Princess Tutu.
Once upon a time, there was a man who died. All the stories the man spun came true, so the king, the nobility, and the kingdom’s rich all went to him to get him to write them stories. But when their wishes were granted, they feared his power, and began to abhor him. So when the man died, the people rejoiced that a source of misfortune had gone. No one heard the sound of the dead man’s scornful laughter.
- NO I WAS DONE WITH THIS EPISODE JUST FROM THE PROLOGUE ALONE.
- AND THEN “THE SPINNERS” GIVES ME SO MANY PLOT TWISTS THAT I’M LEFT FEELING LOST AND BEWILDERED.
- THIS IS NOT THE SHOW I THOUGHT IT WAS WHEN I STARTED WATCHING IT.
- Oh my god, that boy in the library is Autor, and he basically belongs to a one-man cult obsessed with Drosselmeyer. Okay, maybe using “cult” is a little too strong. Look how completely consumed he is by this whole concept, though! It’s so bad that he begins to view himself not only as a vital resource, but a necessary part of the story. I honestly think he has no relation to Drosselmeyer, and that he never once demonstrated a single power in his whole life.
- But he does know things, like the fact that Fakir has the power within him to make stories come to life
- Because Fakir IS A FUCKING DESCENDANT OF DROSSELMEYER WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK!!!!
- And then there’s the BRILLIANT side story about Ahiru’s role in all of this. It’s true that she has deferred to Fakir for the most part. Granted, she’s saved a lot of women from Mytho, but in terms of pushing the story forward? I have to agree that she has been spending a lot of time “watching” Fakir. Oh god, now I can see how the past few episodes have had this intentional set-up specifically for “The Spinners.” Here, Cat-sensei refuses to give Ahiru her toe shoes to learn en pointe because he feels she’s lost her ambition. So she must sit and watch. It’s a clever commentary on Ahiru’s self-worth and agency. Is she going to sit and watch the story go by, intervening every so often and at the last minute? Or is she going to take an active part of it?
- WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS IN THE BLACK CLOAKS???? This is the first episode where we see them speak, and IT DOESN’T HELP ME FIGURE OUT ANYTHING. Drosselmeyer clearly doesn’t like them, so that almost makes me want to like them just to spite Drosselmeyer. But what are they for? Why are they talking about intervening? INTERVENING IN WHAT?
- I AM SO LOST.
- OH MY GOD, WHAT IS MYTHO DOING? Now he’s openly hostile to Rue IN FRONT OF OTHER STUDENTS. If Fakir or Ahiru don’t find a way to purify Mytho, this is going to turn into a disaster quickly.
- I am done asking for an explanation for Cat-sensei. I accept him as he is.
- Whoa, a day passed and Fakir still hasn’t come home? Well, shit, what does Autor have him doing? What is Autor telling him? We got a glimpse of how deep Autor’s obsession went. He knew practically everything about how Drosselmeyer lived, down to what combination of black and blue ink he used to write. So I imagined he was trying to share all this information with Fakir.
- Wait, it’s been three days???
- FAKIR HASN’T MOVED, SLEPT, EATEN, OR DRUNK ANYTHING IN THREE DAYS??? WHAT THE FUCK, AUTOR.
- Oh god, there’s a ~test~ to determine if Fakir has the power to make stories come to life. As soon as Autor started bragging about how he could hear the ~super special whispers~ of the oak, I knew that Fakir would show him up. Autor is so full of himself, y’all.
- Hey, Fakir found the stone that leads to the oak! Okay, so it’s absolutely confirmed, then, that he has the same power as Drosselmeyer. Oh, shit!
- Wait what
- what is
- what is that tree
- NO WHAT THE
- WHY DID THE TREE DO THAT
- WHAT IS THIS WORLD WHERE FAKIR IS
- IS THIS THE DIMENSION WHERE DROSSELMEYER CURRENTLY IS
- I DON’T UNDERSTAND THIS
- I UNDERSTAND NOT A SINGLE THING
- WHAT THE FUCK!!!
- Oh my god.
- It was the power of Ahiru’s voice that pulled Fakir out of this nightmare tree world. She no longer stood by and watched. She saved Fakir.
- Oh, my heart is not going to withstand this much longer, I swear.
- THIS SHOW, Y’ALL.
Mark Links Stuff
- I am now on tour!!! I have 26 events spread out across the eastern HALF of the U.S. and Canada. They are all free and all-ages. Come see speak about the Mark Does Stuff Universe and read terrible fanfiction live!
- Mark Reads Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is now published and available for purchase! It’s available in ebook AND physical book format, and you can also get a discount for buying the ENTIRE SET of digital books: $25 for 7 BOOKS!!!
- Commissions are still open while I am on tour! There may be a day or two delay to get them done, but I am accepting them graciously to help fund my tour!