I’m actually glad that I waited to watch A Very Potter Sequel until this past weekend, as it’s gotten me properly pumped for the great Week of Harry Potter. It also made me realize why both of these Starkid musicals are so wonderful: They are parodies that inherently love the source material. Let’s discuss A Very Potter Sequel!
I really wish they would release these musicals as DVDs. Right???
I think that I was initially hesitant to watch both AVPM and AVPS, and that same fear I have of disliking something fandom loves crept up on me again. I’d heard the songs were great, the humor was bursting through the lines, and that it was a loving tribute to J.K. Rowling’s wizard series. Even more specifically, my sense of humor is kind of bizarre. I guess I don’t always find the same things funny as others. Which is not to say I’m ~totally edgy~ and a ~unique special comedy snowflake~. Just that I have a different taste, I suppose.
Thankfully, there is a whole LOT that I find funny about these musicals and the inclusion of a new character in AVPS certainly made me enjoy the sequel musical even more than the first.
I like lists, don’t you?
– Brian Holden as Lupin. Look, I made it no secret during Mark Reads Harry Potter that Lupin was my favorite character in the series. I think what I loved so much about the Lupin found in AVPS is that he is absolutely nothing like this character. I also felt that they had multiple running gags instead of making him a one-note character. He couldn’t stop swearing; he was never on time; he was constantly found in awkwardly incriminating situations; he understood almost nothing. Honestly, I could not wait for him to show up on screen again.
– Lauren Lopez is our lord and savior. I’m sorry, I don’t care, but I could watch her do anything and I’d love it. She has perfect comic timing and delivery and she manages to make an extended joke about pooping and diapers funny for like two and a half hours. I am not above body humor in the slightest, but to take one joke and continually make me laugh over such a prolonged time is immensely talented. Plus, as I said before, the way she uses her own body to make me laugh is brilliant. Could she be famous and make a billion dollars soon? She deserves it.
– Tyler Brunsman as Lucius Brunsman. My god, what better way to make fun of the man than to make him this ridiculous? So much beautiful prancing.
– I think I prefer Umbridge to Voldemort. Just barely. Though there were times when Joe Walker’s portrayal was kind of terrifying? Like legit creepy.
-Oh my god, why isn’t Scarfy canon????
– I actually really liked the method in which this story is told: Using a Time Turner to return to Hogwarts. It was an interesting way to revisit these characters and still technically keep the first musical as its own story.
– I’d actually have to count, and perhaps it’s just bad memory, but I feel like AVPS had less songs than AVPM, but I actually enjoyed the songs more than the ones in the first musical.
– HERMIONE CAN’T DRAW. HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AMAZING.
– I said it multiple times during the liveblog, but I would pay to own every single one of Draco’s drawings as framed posters.
– My favorite songs always seem to be the most serious ones. Bonnie Gruesen’s performance on “The Coolest Girl” was kind of heartbreaking. And lord, can that woman sing.
– On that same note, Darren Criss sounded lovely on “To Have a Home.”
– Darren Criss always sounds lovely. What am I saying?
– Hell, could Darren Criss, Bonnie Gruesen, Lauren Lopez, and Joey Richter just sing like ever song ever? They all harmonize really, really well.
– “There’s no way we’re losing to Slytherin, Ravenclaw, or Jigglypuff.” Lupin, you have my heart.
– The reoccurring joke of Umbridge not getting texted back? Remarkably in-character. Genius.
– “Why that’s absurd!” “You’re absurd!” “What??? Say that to my face!” “YOU’RE ABSURD!” “THAT’S ABSURD!”
– “Bless his soft adorable paws that he trips over when he’s running too fast.” No, bless YOUR heart, Lupin.
– “I am a racist. I despise gingers and mudbloods, I hate Gryffindor house, and my parents work for the man who killed your parents DO YOU WANT TO BE MY FRIEND.”
– “You know, using the potty is a GREAT time to socialize! You just look over to the stall next to you, and you just have a right chat with your neighbor. ‘Oh! Hello there! First time using the potty too, eh? Pfffft. Good luck, my man.'” oh my god i laughed so hard.
– “Best way to say Red Wines in a German accent?” “RED VINES.”
– “Hey Lupin, want to go look at a full moon with me?”
THE NOT AS GOOD
– Sirius kind of bored me? It wasn’t awful, but it wasn’t…amazing?
– Sometimes, Umbridge was a bit TOO much.
– NOT ENOUGH PIGFARTS. where was rumbleroar
I don’t have anything ~deep~ or ~thought provoking~ to say about AVPS and I am perfectly okay with that. It was just fun. And sometimes I just want to enjoy something purely for the entertainment value.
I’ve heard rumors that there is a third musical planned? Does anyone know if this is true? GOD I WOULD LOVE IT. I am hoping I can sneak in to the StarKid presentation at LeakyCon this week because I MUST SEE THESE GENIUSES IN PERSON.
oh god EVERYONE CROSS YOUR FINGERS FOR ME.