In the interest of collecting my thoughts in a more organized manner that’s easier to read than trying to search for my comments in our super awesome liveblog, I thought it best to allow us all to drop them here.
Because it would be seriously too difficult to run through things in a chronological manner like I usually do (and because you don’t need a plot summary of the movie YOU JUST WATCHED), LET’S BRING BACK LISTS fuck yeah.
- This is one of the better expositions I’ve seen in a movie, and certainly for a movie dealing with a television show. I thought it introduced the plot to strangers while still being intelligent and valuable to all of us who had seen the show; the sudden shift to River’s point of view was an even greater insight into her mind. I liked it because it was Whedon’s attempt to make sure we sympathized with what she was going through by showing us what her mind was like.
- The fact that Whedon never made the Alliance an entirely evil entity is also appreciated. River’s flashback scene at the beginning showed that there were people who meant well and that the Alliance certainly provided a meaningful life for some people under their rule. The key to understanding the main conflict is in this opening scene: there are people who don’t want to be a part of the Alliance, and they’ve been given no choice otherwise.
- Watching Simon free River was so wonderful. Dude’s a badass and sometimes we forget that.
- The Operative, played brilliantly by Chiwetel Ejiofor, is very, very creepy. Early is worse for me, but this is also another man convinced of his moral standing and the pragmatism that comes from it.
- It was bittersweet to watch Whedon cycle through his introduction to all the characters we’d come to love. I knew that this would be over soon. noooooooooooooo
- I was impressed with how seamless this segued from the final episode, only really skipping over two larger stories: What Inara and Book had each been up to.
- As soon as the Reavers showed up during the raid, I secretly hoped we’d see more of them in this movie. I was very happy we did.
- SERIOUSLY, FUCK THE REAVERS. Oh my god, they are so awful.
- Could we expect an extension of Firefly without a scene of moral ambiguity? Watching Mal shove that man off the ship and then shooting him as the Reavers took him was difficult to watch and even worse when Zoe confronted him about. Shooting him was an act of mercy, but where does Mal draw the line about saving another life? It builds on the idea that the only people that truly matter to him are his crew. Â “Maybe that’s why we lost,” says Zoe. Ouch.
- Which…that does explain his very angry fight with Simon immediately after this. Simon is mad that Mal used River and you know what? I have to agree with him that while River did save their lives, Mal is using her to his own ends. It’s creepy and kind of rude how practical he is with her at this point in the story.
- Fanty and Mingo are so scummy. I love it.
- RIVER’S TRANSFORMATION SCENE. There were plenty of hints towards her identity as an actual weapon in the run of the show, but after that commercial triggers a memory of Miranda and she turns into THE ULTIMATE FIGHTING MACHINE. Holy shit. Also, I found it funny she kicked Jayne’s ass, since he sort of deserved that after his actions in “Ariel.”
- I know it’s not funny, but the fact that Simon has a safe word for his sister is…well, it made me laugh. I can’t help it.
- Mr. Universe is awesome. His female sexbot? Not so awesome. Really, really creepy, actually.
- UGH SEEING INARA HURT. I like her so, so, so much. But I will say that the scene with the entire crew watching her and Mal talk was FANTASTIC. There aren’t many moments where they’re all together anymore, so I appreciated seeing it.
- Mal and Zoe knew it was trap right off the bat. A+++++ forever.
- I was sort of indifferent to The Operative until the battle in Inara’s place. Dude, you are fucked up. No thank you.
- So we find out Miranda is a planet at the edge of the system. At first, I thought they’d discover it was actually Earth-That-Was, but oh god, it was so much worse.
- That worse? That the Operative decided to go after every hiding place Serenity was known to frequent, which included Haven, where Book was hiding. When he died, I knew it was Whedon’s nod to us: Shit is so fucking real right now and you are not goddamn prepared for what I am about to do.
- Mal’s first Reavers plan is TOTALLY FUCKED. Hey, let’s strap Book and a bunch of bodies to the hull of our ship and pretend to be Reavers. THAT’S TOTALLY WHAT BOOK WOULD HAVE WANTED. I mean, it does work, but…wow.
- The Miranda story. Jesus fucking christ, this is the most important scene to the entire series. It re-contextualizes EVERY episode. We knew they wanted River because she was a weapon, but that hint in the very beginning of the movie came true: River had the ability to read the secrets hidden in the minds of “key members of Parliament.” That secret? The Alliance tested a chemical that sought to eliminate aggression. It worked, to the point that it killed every person on Miranda because they simply lost the will to live. All of them except a small percentage, who had the opposite reaction: they became so violent, they became the Reavers.
- NO. SERIOUSLY. THE REAVERS WERE MADE BY THE ALLIANCE. Brain. Explode.
- I thought Mal was walking into a trap unknowingly when he contacted Mr. universe about spreading the message to the entire ‘Verse, but his SECOND Reavers plan was even more brilliant than the first: trick the Reavers into following them through space and dropping them right on top of the Alliance ships. FUCK YEAH.
- And just when you think everything is fine….Wash. Oh my god, Wash. You know, I expected them to return to Serenity afterwards and find out he was all right, but no. Whedon doesn’t work that way. They took a risk and Wash was the casualty. Seriously one of the most depressing scenes, especially when they try to avoid locking the doors and Zoe shouts, “He ain’t comin’ back!” Endless. Tears.
- No, wait, not endless tears. Simon is shot, badly. WHEDON PLEASE STOP THIS IT HURTS TO WATCH.
- Oh wait, what’s that? River turns into the most epic badass of all time? Her fight against the Reavers is SO AMAZING. Oh man.
- There is a huge difference between The Operative and Early: Early would never have given up his mission, but The Operative, after observing the Miranda feed, realizes he’s been fighting on the wrong side the entire time.
- The small graveyard scene is so fucking heartbreaking. His dinosaurs. 🙁 🙁 🙁 Though, I thought Simon had died? But no, he’s standing right there!
- There’s a beautiful symmetry in River becoming the new pilot and for Mal’s newfound respect for her.
- “What was that?”
This isn’t quite over yet, for the record. I ordered all three of the graphic novels that span the gap between the TV series and the movie. In the next week or so, I’ll put one-off reviews of each one up on Mark Reads. And THEN we will be done and we can all cry forever.
So now I turn things over to all of you. What did you think of Serenity? Likes and dislikes? Best quotes? I didn’t include very many quotes because JESUS CHRIST THERE WERE SO MANY GOOD ONES. Also, MOAR GIFS OF THE MOVIE.
Pingback: Black Friday 2011
Pingback: Sweaters On Sale
Pingback: poly mva
Pingback: Video Game Store
Pingback: corporate christmas cards
Pingback: microwave ovens
Pingback: July 4th Deals
Pingback: club penguin
Pingback: natural hair color
Pingback: The Bathroom Scales
Pingback: Remove Tonsil Stones at Home
Pingback: Sports Tickets
Pingback: Sober House
Pingback: The Microwave Ovens
Pingback: Frye Paige
Pingback: Snow Cone Syrup
Pingback: Dog Bite Lawsuits
Pingback: The natural haircolor
Pingback: Buy Kratom
Pingback: Acne Skin Care Product
Pingback: What Is Adoption
Pingback: Gold Party
Pingback: Air Conditioning Filters
Pingback: tracking pay per click
Pingback: Acai Berry scams
Pingback: Villa Ile Maurice
Pingback: Buy Salvia
Pingback: Blu Ray Release Dates
Pingback: Zune phone
Pingback: Mauritius Villas
Pingback: Location Ile Maurice
Pingback: Search engine optimization
Pingback: College Tutoring
Pingback: Location Villa Ile Maurice
Pingback: Asthma Homeopathy
Pingback: search engine placement service
Pingback: Buy Spanx
Pingback: Online Paralegal Courses
Pingback: seo consultant
Pingback: Pool Supply Coupons
Pingback: solar panels
paparazzi lady gaga
Pingback: Wooden Dog House
I also planing on makeing my blog that cool…
Pingback: Minor Sex Education
Pingback: ways to make money online
Pingback: hotels in benidorm
Pingback: cheap holidays
Pingback: how to make money from the internet
Pingback: Associate Degrees Online
Pingback: Fathers Day Gifts
Starting each and every day care business offers a great entrepreneurial opportunity if you like children. It can be the great thing you could do to make a living. The scale vary coming from a small in home based operation over a shoe string budget towards a large commercial center. Its up to you to choose the course of your enterprise – either deciding to remain small by creating work only reserved for yourself or growing into an enterprise with large revenue.
Something that does be prominent using the New Balance 993 could be the springy effect that this has. Every stride feels like a spread of your energy where you put the pressure. It starts from your heel, goes to the midsole and ultimately ends up in the forefoot the spot where you get great responsiveness
Pingback: cheap holidays
Pingback: roofing contractors sacramento
You made some decent points there. I regarded on the web for the difficulty and found most individuals will associate with together with your website.
Pingback: roofing los angeles
Pingback: roofing company austin
Pingback: replacement windows austin
Pingback: Online Dating Sites
Pingback: Location Ile Maurice
Pingback: roofers austin
Pingback: Life Insurance Rates
Pingback: Self Catering Mauritius
Pingback: Cyber Monday
Pingback: marietta ga
Pingback: Buy Stair Lifts
Pingback: Book A Trip
Pingback: property and casualty insurance company
Pingback: Cheap Car Insurance Quotes Online
Pingback: Cheap Personal Secured Loans
I felt her stomach and climb off of herthigh high and cup her hilary duff hot neck.
Pingback: Best Diet Plan
Pingback: Bath Salts
Pingback: Married Dating
Pingback: click here
Pingback: Keurig Brewer
Pingback: Schwinn 240 recumbent exercise bike
Pingback: Immobilienmakler Bad Homburg
Pingback: Discount Lanyards
Pingback: Marriage Problems Help
Pingback: Atlanta Falcons Tickets
Pingback: Help relationship
Pingback: עבירות מס
Pingback: Sex Chat
Pingback: Lem 10 meat grinder
Pingback: Television Reviews
Pingback: Lethbridge Tutoring
Pingback: Bungalow Ile Maurice
Pingback: google adwords
Pingback: HTC Desire Review
Pingback: Free Magazine Subscription
Pingback: Home Depot coupons
Pingback: Free Magazine Subscription
Pingback: 2nd Hand Lawn Mowers For Sale
Pingback: pond lights
Pingback: tiella track lighting